About us

Our business details


Huon Bush Retreats Pty Ltd

Huon Bush Retreats (HBR) is owned and operated by Michael Higgins and Paul Dimmick.

HBR is the business branch of the greater reserve and delivers guest services on a day to day basis.

Michael Higgins

Michael and River

Michael is our chef and assistance to our guest services staff.

River is one of our orphaned animals that we raise from time to time. She is very friendly and might even greet you at reception.

 

 Paul Dimmick

Paul at Lookout

Paul manages the infrastructure and promotional activities and day to day guest enquiries.

He was a full time activist in the successful campaign to save the Franklin River and various other environmental and community campaigns.

Gail Oates

Gail Oates

Gail is our main cleaner.

A Huon Valley local resident, Gail is the person to thank when you arrive to clean floors, crisp sheets and fresh flowers in the vase.

Accreditation

Accredited as a provider of quality nature-based tourism experiences.

Click here for full membership and accreditation details.

How to find us

Huon Bush Retreats is just fifty minutes south from Hobart, and ten minutes from Huonville. Huon Bush Retreats is the perfect place from which to explore the Huon Valley and Far South.

Click here for full directions to find us

Our Ethics

    • Protecting the natural values of Mt Misery Area and encouraging better protection of the environment everywhere
    • Treating guests and staff with equality and respect, regardless of race, sexuality, political persuasions or religion
    • Sharing our vision for a community where people live in close harmony with their natural surroundings
    • Supporting community groups with environmental or social equality policies. Each month, we give a raffle prize or similar to such a group.

 


Huon Nature Trust

Huon Nature Trust exists to commercially support the aims and protection of Mt Misery Habitat Reserve. Environmentally minded people have pooled money into the trust to achieve protection of natural values.

The unit trust owns the land, cabins and infrastructure, with the principal goal of protecting the land and natural values at Mt Misery. It is an arrangement where ethical investment meets private conservation. The Trust then leases the land and cabins to Huon Bush Retreats.

About half of the available units have been sold so far. As units are sold, more cabins can be built, up to the maximum of eight. After that, we hope to purchase surrounding land to better protect the core values of Mt Misery Habitat Reserve.

For more information about how the trust operates, download the attached pdf HNT Document One Circulation web quality.pdf  or please email us info@huonbushretreats.com


 

Mount Misery Habitat Reserve

Reserve-infrastructure-layer-Mt Misery Habitat Reserve is a loose community conservation effort, where about many neighbours have co-operatively protected some eight square kilometres (1,600 acres) of private land plus the intervening public lands.

Many of the properties (including HBR) are protected in perpetuity by conservation covenants. Covenants are attached to the title and the conditions apply to all future owners. Most of the covenants in this area allow people to use 20% of each title, leaving 80% protected for nature.

Several reserve residents were unsuccessfully sued by Gunns Ltd (the Gunns 20), based on their involvement in the successful campaign to stop the logging of lands adjacent the north eastern side of the reserve at Lucaston. After several years of legal argument, Gunns dropped the law suit as being baseless.

Part of the reserve, southwest from the summit, is owned by Huon Nature Trust and leased by Huon Bush Retreats.


 

Huon Valley Escapes

Huon Valley EscapesWe also operate Huon Valley Escapes which offers unique and comfortable accommodation in Hobart, Bruny Island, D’Entrecasteaux Channel, Huon Valley and Far South Tasmania.

From a big city hotel or self contained town houses to secluded eco-cabins or  beach houses, and the southernmost accommodation in all of Australia. All have their own special locations and facilities. We can also suggest activities to suit most tastes and arrange car hire.

Huon Valley Escapes has your Huon Trail experience covered. Stay a few days, slow down, do as little or as much as you like. Experience the best of the Huon: food, culture and the tranquillity of Tasmania’s southernmost trails.

www.huonvalleyescapes.net

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link